The Sino-Japanese Peace Memorial Hall was opened in June 1937 on land adjoining the Japanese-style restaurant, Shunpanro, which was the site of the peace conference. The purpose was to communicate to future generations the historical significance of the Sino-Japan Peace Conference that occurredheld in Shimonoseki in the spring of 1895, and the peace treaty called the Treaty of Shimonoseki. Inside are furnishings used during the peace conference, and items such as autographs from Hirobumi Ito and Li Hung Chang and other items. The Sino-Japanese War broke out in the summer of 1894 between Qing China and Japan because of clashing interests over the Korean Peninsula. The overwhelming superiority of Japan’s army won out, and around November of that same year China began seeking reconciliation. A steamship carrying a peace mission from China set anchor in the Kanmon Straits on March 19, 1895. The Sino-Japan Peace Conference began the next day at Shunpanro. This conference was attended by Mutsu Munemitsu and Hirobumi Ito, entrusted with the full authority of Japan, and a mission led by Li Hung Chang, entrusted with the full authority of China. The conference was held for 7 days and the peace treaty was signed on April 17th. In the peace treaty, China promised Japan it would recognize the independence of the Korean Peninsula, cede land (Liaodong Peninsula, Taiwan, the Pescadores and other territories, etc.) to Japan, and pay Japan compensation of 200 million taels. However, the Liaodong Peninsula was returned to China in April that same year due tofollowing negotiations withamong the 3 countries of Russia, Germany, and France.
Address：4-3 Amidaiji-cho, Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi Prefecture
Tel： 083-241-1080 (Shimonoseki City History Museum)
Hours : 9:00ー17:00
Closed : なし
Fee : Free
Category: Constituent cultural properties
Genre: Story 2